2 April 2009

Fudge: By popular demand!!


for all the lovely girlies at MSE who wanted my fudge recipe :) I've added my own tips into the receipe at each stage xx


This is the only receipe I've been able to get to work right. For making fudge I have a sugar thermometer that clips to the side of the pan, which is a big help as all my attempts without one were disastrous so I felt it a worthwhile investment, but I also do the drop-test when I think its nearly ready into a glass of cold water. I got my thermometer from a local kitchen shop for about £4 but it's been worth every penny!


Ingredients:

- 397g can Carnation Condensed Milk

- 150ml (5fl oz) milk

- 450g (1lb) Demerara sugar

- 115g butter (I use stork marge)


Method:

1. (if you are using a thermometer put it on your pan before heating else the pan gets too hot to attach it!) Gently heat all the ingredients in a large, non-stick saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves. (I have a gas hob and heat on just below medium until I can feel that the sugar is no longer grainy and all the butter has melted, then turn up the heat and move onto the next stage)


2. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, (be careful as it tends to bubble and spit a little) stirring continuously until a temperature of 116c is reached on a sugar thermometer. (I find that this takes the full 15 minutes, turning up the heat a little at a time, one of the problems I used to have was that I was just whacking it up to reach 116 degrees in a few minutes, which didnt end up with the right result lol). Alternatively, test the fudge by dropping a little in into a jug of cold water. If a soft ball is formed, the fudge is ready. (It sort of gathers together to itself in the water, you will know if its not ready as it will sort of disintegrate and make the water cloudy)


3. Remove from the heat and beat until thick and grainy (about 10 -15 minutes, I've found it's very important to beat for long enough, until you will be able to 'feel' a quick change in the consistency and glossiness when its just ready, but beware because this change happens quite quickly and you need to get it into the containers when its still able to run and doesn't become too thick). Pour into the containers and set until firm (I dont put it in the fridge, just leave it on the side for a couple of hours.) When cold, cut into squares.


Fudge can be stored for up to 1 month in an airtight container (but mine never lasts that long!)


This recipe doesn't make a chewy fudge, more of a soft sugary one - its the only receipe and technique I've been able to get to set properly.


Hope this helps someone out, if any of you try this recipe I'd love to know how you get on :) xx

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Thanks Gemma, I will let you know how I get on with it
xx

melissa75 said...

Thanks Gemma - I don't know if I'm brave enough to attempt this!!

Anonymous said...

Gemma that looks soooo nice!!

Sarah said...

Hope to have a go today, will let you know how I get on...x

Gem said...

good luck, hope it goes ok! x